This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase through these links, you’ll help support Average But Inspired at no added cost to you, and you’ll receive some products that I love! To read my full disclosure policy, please click here.
Many thanks to DecoArt for providing the awesome paint for this project! The project and opinions are all my own.
My little guy is growing up so quickly and is ready for his big boy room! He decided he wants an airplane room, which is really strange because he has never shown much of an interest in airplanes. But whatever. It’s all good. Practically every man on my mom’s side of the family is a pilot, so perhaps it’s in his blood.
We recently started getting his gender neutral nursery transitioned over to a pilot’s dream room, but haven’t made much progress other than painting the walls, assembling his bunk beds (and disassembling his crib – waaaah!), and giving his dresser (which was my childhood dresser), an amazing makeover! (UPDATE: the room is finished! If you want to see it, please CLICK HERE.)So yes, this was my lovely dresser that my parents bought me when I was around nine years old. It had different hardware at the time (much more old-school looking in brass and with those weird flourish thingies), but my husband and I switched it out when our daughter was born, and that’s what you see in this photo.
My son’s bunk beds are sort of an ugly wood tone, and one that looks really bad with the color of this dresser. Since we purchased the beds used and for a bargain price, I got over the color pretty quickly. (I figure we saved around $700 by purchasing them used.) And since I’m too lazy to paint bunk beds, I decided to paint the dresser in an effort to make his furniture not look so awful together.
Since we’re going with a vintage aviation look in the room, I knew I wanted to do a gray color on the dresser. I checked out DecoArt’s line of Americana Decor Chalky Finish paints and decided to mix two of their grays — Yesteryear and Relic — to create my own hybrid color.
They mixed up easily, and after I’d done my prep work (which was literally just wiping down the dresser to remove dust), I applied my first coat. I used a small roller for the top and sides, and a 1″ brush for the rest of the piece. The paint applied SO smoothly and easily, and it dried really quickly, which is a plus when working with little kids in the vicinity. (I would have taken all the drawers out to paint, but they wouldn’t come out!)
I was able to apply my second coat almost immediately, and was totally pleased that the coverage was fabulous! Two coats, and 16 oz. of paint, was all it took for this entire piece of dark furniture!
After I was sure that the paint was totally dry, I applied a protective topcoat of SC Johnson Paste Wax, using my large natural bristle brush. (DecoArt has a line of finishing waxes, too, but since I already had finishing wax at home, I didn’t want to be greedy and ask them to send me theirs. If it’s anywhere near the quality of their paint, I am sure it’s amazing.) I let that dry to a haze, buffed it out, and promptly felt my arms scream in pain from being used in an unusual way. The pain was worth it though, because a wax finish produces such a beautiful, velvety result. I just love the finish.
A couple of days later, I got out my Briwax Dark Wax and got to “vintageizing” (made up word) the dresser. I wanted to give it some depth and character, so I streaked on the wax with a lint free cloth. I was a little overzealous though and got some MAJOR streaks and mistakes (on the dresser and on myself).
Yikes. Pretty awful. But it was all fine because I grabbed my clear paste wax, put a little on a rag, and went over the spots where I’d applied too much dark wax. The dark wax came right off and my mistakes vanished. Phew!
Now the finished piece looks like this with its new color and new hardware!
I can’t believe the difference! It’s so much better for a boy now (in my opinion), and I think it helps set the stage for the vintage aviation room to come!
I couldn’t be happier with the results. Let’s just hope the rest of the room turns out as well as this dresser!
To see where I’m sharing this project, please click here.