When you think of bread, do you think of cake mix and chocolate? Yeah, neither do I. So truthfully, I’m not really sure that this semi-homemade chocolate banana bread is actually bread. I think it’s really just cake that is passing itself off as bread by being baked in a bread pan.
But no matter how you slice it (see what I did there?), it’s delicious. And you should bake some for yourself.
My kids and I have been stuck around the house quite a bit recently because I’m trying to potty train my son (THE WORST!!!), and we need to be close to a toilet at all times. When the weather was especially bad the other day we decided to have some fun in the kitchen and make this awesome chocolate banana bread! My little guy was the banana masher while my big girl supervised. (See how she disapproves of his technique? Top chef, that one.)
In all honesty, it turned out SO much better than any of us expected. I wasn’t really sure how the bananas and chocolate would work together, but they play really nicely in the sandbox.
And since I call this creation “bread” and it contains fruit, I am pretending that it’s not terribly unhealthy. You can even see some of the banana in there! It’s healthy.
- 2 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 2 eggs
- Chocolate cake mix (I used Betty Crocker)
- 1/4 cup of chocolate chips
- 2 tbsp of butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and add the milk.
- Add the bananas to this mixture and mash them well.
- Pour in the cake mix and stir.
- Add the eggs and stir well until most of the lumps have disappeared.
- Grease the bread pan, pour in the batter, and bake for 40-50 minutes in preheated oven.
- Once the bread has finished baking, melt the chocolate chips and butter in a saucepan.
- Stir well and pour over cooled bread.
After a long week of potty training, I think I’ve earned another slice of this semi-homemade chocolate banana bread. And a glass of wine. Always wine.
To see where I may be sharing this post, please click here.